A sewing machine can be your best friend (right up there with diamonds), so here’s some quick tips to ensure a long and loving relationship.
- Get to know each other. I’m convinced that each sewing machine has its own personality and sewing style. Whether it adapts to you or you adapt to it, like every relationship it will take some time and energy. Quality Sewing offers free machine usage classes so that you can become better acquainted and learn some of the amazing things your machine can do.
- Expand your horizons. Experiment with all those funky looking feet in your accessory case. Better yet, take some classes. Whether it’s a monthly club or something special, learning in a class environment can introduce some new techniques and tools that you never would have thought of using otherwise. And it’s a lot of fun!
- Keep it clean. Sewing machines, like cars, just seem to run better when they’re clean. Lint bunnies nesting in your bobbin area can wreak havoc with your bobbin tension. So can lint in your upper tension disks. Needless to say food, dirt and other substances aren’t good for your machine, either.
- Work together. Bad habits can create repair bills and frustration. Work with your feed dogs – avoid forcing fabric through. Pull your pins – sewing into a pin can not only cause damage to you from flying bits of metal, it can also throw your machine out of balance. Learn how to troubleshoot and diagnose when something isn’t working properly.
- Stay in tune. All machinery requires maintenance to work well. Your sewing machine is no exception. When was the last time your machine was tuned up? If you can’t remember, it might be time for a checkup. Quality Sewing has a full time service staff that can tune or repair nearly all models of sewing machines.
Have a great time with your new (or old) best friend! Here’s to a long and happy relationship.