Sew Fun for August has many great ideas for gifts for you to make. To get you started, here is a quick wine bag that you can personalize with Chalkboard Fabric, and Bistro Chalk Markers.Supplies:
- Sewing Machine and Serger in good working order
- 18”x18” Burlap
- 4” x18” Chalkboard fabric
- Serger thread in beige (4 cones)
- Sewing thread in black
- Temporary Spray Adhesive
- Edge Stitching Foot
- Rotary cutter, mat and ruler
- Clover Wonder Clips
- Bistro Chalk Marker, your choice of color
- 25” of 1” wide ribbon, your choice of color
Instructions:1. Burlap – 18” x 18” (I cut mine so that the frayed selvedge edge was the top of the bag. Example 1)
2. Chalkboard fabric – 4” x 18”
3. At your sewing machine: Place the long edge of the chalkboard fabric strip, across the width of the burlap, 8” from the top, not including the fringe. You can use a spray adhesive to keep the chalkboard fabric in place while stitching. Spray the back of the chalkboard fabric lightly. Example 2
4. Top stitch along both of the long edges with black sewing thread.
NOTE: Using an Edge Stitching Foot would make this task much easier.
5. At your serger: Bring the edges together, matching the short edges of the chalkboard fabric. Serge seam with a 4-thread or a 4-thread safety stitch.
6. Center the seam in the middle of the bag. Example 3. To simplify Step 8, press a crease in the lower sides of the bag.
7. Serge across the bottom of the bag.
9. Because burlap ravels easily, use Clover Wonder Clips to secure as you go to your serger. And, the Clover Wonder Clips are great for the serger, because you can’t accidently serger over them
10. Serge both edges. Example 5.
11. Press seams and turn bag right side out.
12. Write your celebration on the chalkboard fabric with a Bistro Chalk Marker.
13. Place wine bottle in bag and tie on your ribbon. Example 6.
Enjoy your sewing adventures!
Lana L Jones